*click on the titles above to know more about the history of TKPS and click on the years to view the pictures
Telok Kurau English School opened its doors for the admission of pupils on September 6, 1926. It was so named as it was situated on Telok Kurau Road (translated into "Kurau Fish Bay" in English).The school was set up to cater to a thriving population eager to be educated in English. Lessons started for a dozen pupils (all boys) under the tutelage of its first teacher, Mr Lim Lam San. The first principal of the school was Mr C B Carr.
The school was a simple two-storey wooden structure set amidst a vast coconut plantation, a typical rural school in the early colonial days. In fact, when Mr R Walker, the Art Master of Singapore Schools, designed the school badge, he chose the coconut tree for the emblem. The school motto then was Facta non verba (Deeds not words).
There were twelve classrooms, a hall and a tuckshop. Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew was admitted as a student in January 1930 and the late former Malaysian Prime Minister Datuk Hussein Onn in January 1931.
In 1958, a new wing was added to accommodate the increasing population. During this period, two other schools bearing the name "Telok Kurau" were built; the Telok Kurau Malay Girl's School in 1960 and the Telok Kurau West School in 1962. These were built to cater to the growth of the school-going population within the Telok Kurau/Joo Chiat area. Telok Kurau English School then became known as Telok Kurau East School.